So, I carefully made the pattern, cut it out, used my sewing machine to finish all the edges, then sewed the two pieces together and put the zipper in. I tried it on - and it just fell straight off me. So I took the seam in by about 1.5 inches, then it was a bit too tight. I let the seam out twice, and still to tight - I kept getting bunching across the front of it. I call my Mum, who suggested I let out the seam (again) and add darts, and she tells me how to do them. I unpick the right hand side seam for the third time then carefully measure half, and then a quarter and then sew in the darts and try it on again. Hmm... I accidently put them on the back instead of the front... I decide to leave them there as they seem to have mostly solved the bunching problem, but I needed to make them a little longer, and then voila! It sorta fits.
I did a very very shotty job of adding a facing, but I think its ready to go to work with me. Things that will still need to be done (sometime after I have worn it to work tomorrow) - hem the bottom, topstitch over the facing - but this can only be done once I have unpicked my first origonal seam and cut it down to the new seam! I also need to fix up the top of the zip in one spot - this is the first time I have ever put a zip in an item of clothing so I think I did alright. The facing also needs to be cut to size - I have a little bit overhanging, I think I'll just safety pin it out of the way for tomorrow and then finally, I need to hand sew the facing down.
Then, after that is complete, I attempt skirt number 2!
Other things I got up to today were sewing together what I could of my triple irish chain. Its moving along slowly. I will admit that for the past two days I have been debating making it two rows shorter, meaning that when I add the next lot of blocks I will be done, and just have borders, but then it wouldnt be big enough for my bed. So I think I will just have to persever. You may notice in the skirt photo that this thing continues down to the floor.
