Monday, September 8, 2008

Two down!

Since my last post:

  • One quilt has been completely finished, binding, pocket rod and all and has even been washed and cooked in the dryer.
    This is the first quilt I have ever washed and had fabric run. Doesn't really bother me, but its pretty unfortunate as the back is also pieced, so if the fabric had have been about 2 inches to the right, it would have been on a pink fabric and then unnoticeable! This quilt was 'cooked' to see how much the bamboo batting would shrink. All up it shrunk by about an inch on each side, but I think that could also be due in part to my heavy quilting, and the fact I can't actually remember how big the top was before it was pinned, and I can't remember if I measured it after quilting it and before washing it. Either way, I like how crinkly it came out.
  • Another quilt that has been 'in progress' for about 2 years (I *think*) had its final border quilted. It is a Material Obsession pattern that was printed in a Patchwork and Quilting magazine. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of this as I have left it with my wonderful hand sewn binding Grandmar for to have it hand stitched. (She also hand stitched the pink and black one aswell, that only took her about an hour! She is superwoman!!)
  • And today, I unpinned, then repinned my multicolour barnraiser-ish half square triangle quilt. On top of that, I have also quilted all the straight lines on it already tonight (in about 2 hours, even I'm impressed with my lack of procrastination while doing it). Now I just have to pick a free hand quilting pattern to do in all the white areas and I'm set to finish it! The next big step for this one is picking the binding fabric.
And I didnt resize two the photo's so I could show you (sort of) the other thing I have been working on. It only has 9 rows to quilt in one direction, and 16 in the other. Which isnt bad considering that thing is about twin/queen size and there are about 47 rows in each direction. I'm starting to get excited about finishing it as when it gets folded up it looks georgous, but it will look even better with all those pins out, and a nice black binding on it! I will give more details about it when I'm finished.